Saturday, February 11, 2012

Figure drawing is fucking hard

Each Friday, while every other college student is sleeping (or if they're unlucky, working) I haul myself out of bed, pull out the first shirt+pants+shoes I see and leave for school (without breakfast, mind you) to get to room Art 260 and draw some lovely nude model for five hours. Why do I do this, besides for the pleasure of seeing live nudes in front of me judgement free? Because it's definitely worth the struggle, to sit down and commit pencil to paper the movement, the essence of a human being. I want to venture into illustrating my own comics, so this is the best class to get the sense of gesture, value, and bodily expression. I tweet my progress sometimes, but i might as well post some of my favorites here. (more to come, i'm sure)



I'm my own worst critic (and my teacher Mara doesn't seem to give me much attention besides correcting my negative space and proportions) but I'd say these are cool. I'm not going to post all the gestures I like, but these are recent enough.
This is definitely the hardest class I've ever loved.

charcoal pencil on newsprint
photos are from my blackberry camera phone